ADVOCATING DEMOCRACY

"THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR EVIL TO TRIUMP IS WHEN GOOD MEN DO NOTHING"
Edmund Burke. British Statesman. (1729-1798)

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Life after Lier Ventemottak

It is January 2011, and the night is very long, and the day is very short. I live here in Rognan, Saltdal nordland. I was sent here in August 2010, from Haslemoen transit camp, where I was temporary kept, after the ventemottak got burnt on July 6th 2010.

It has been 4 years living at Lier ventemottak. I found it difficult to return home voluntarily for fear I would be arrested and killed by the Bashir security organs. I am enduring life in ventemottak because I don't want to go and be recruited into army and sent to kill my fellow brothers in Darfur, given that the war is still going on there.

I have chosen to endure pain for the good of my people. I know and believe that, any president that is described as commited genocide in Darfur will spare my single individual life.

In my patience, tomorrow January 9th, 2011, south Sudanese will go to the pole station to decide our political future, and I am excited to see my people go free after decades of oppression, discrimination and marginalization.

Free independent south Sudan has been our dream since 1955, just a year before Sudan got independent from Britain on January 1st, 1956. Anya-Nya guerrila, led by Saturnino Ohure, a Catholic priest, from Torit, mutinied in Torit, Eastern Equatoria state 1955 and led a 17 years war against Khartoum, demanding total freedom. In 1972, they reached an agreement in Addis Abeba.

In 1982, Anya-Nya 2, led by Kerebino Kyanyin Bol, started war again.

In 1983, south Sudanese army, battalian 105 and 106 mutinied in Bor town, starting the last phase of civil war that has lasted for more than 20 years, The Sudan People's Liberation Army/Movement, led by Col. Dr. John Garang de Mabior. They signed peace in Nairobi, Kenya on January 9th 2005. The Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) granted south Sudanese with two option; Unity or total seperation (independence.

Tomorrow the world will witness the creation of the new country through the ballots, and each south Sudanese is excited to vot for independent south Sudan, after long years of marginalisation by the north.

After 7 years seeking asylum in Norway without any success, I have spent 4 of that years in ventemottak, in a place called Lier, where I was sent to live on October 4th, 2006, untill it was set on fire July 6th 2010. Although I am stil enduring life in ventemottak at Rognan, now, where I am writing from now, I have hope that south Sudan will be independent and I could return home safely. It is the choice people in the south will make for independent south, that will enable me to travel home without any fear. The home I have missed since August 10th, 1986. It is my hope that the referendum with be peaceful and successful.

Long Live SPLA/M, Long live south Sudan, Long Live the people of south Sudan.

No comments:

Post a Comment